Search This Blog

Sunday, May 12, 2013

RIP GILMAN Arkadiy(CAN)

From FM Danny Goldenberg on Chesstalk
Dear chess amateurs, I received sms this afternoon saying that Arkadiy Gilman, chess player from Montreal, passed away at the age of 100.

GILMAN ,Arkadiy(right)
Photo-Chessbase Article by Nunn
 
His family wanted to share the information since he carried love to the game of chess during all his life.

He was playing in slow tournaments far passed his 90s, for as long as his health was allowing it. On a personal note, I would like to add that I had the privilege of playing against Mr. Gilman early in 2009. We agreed to play a friendly match of 4 games (obviously, no incrs. – old school 2h/40 moves +1h/ mate), but injury and then health issues only allowed us 1 game.
 
I was playing black and was lucky to win the game when on the fifth hour he made a small mistake in the endgame and allowed me to capitalize. I was amazed by his analytical skills and, again, huge love to the game. He was 96!
Here are his final ratings:

GILMAN Arkadiy
FQE: 2065 (already had over 2200 – in his 90s!!!)
CFC: 2092 (highest rating 2237)
FIDE: 2176

He was a great man!
R.I.P. Mr. Gilman!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment